This island is located in the middle of St. Lawrence River about 5 km East of Quebec City’s downtown. It is 34 km long and 8 km wide at its widest point. Access is by Route 368 via l’Ile d’Orléans bridge. (Source:Wikipedia)
First inhabited by the Huron tribes, who called it Minigo (Enchantress), this island was one of the first parts of Quebec to be colonized by the French. Jaques Cartier first landed here in 1535 and called it Bascuz (after Bacchus) due to the abundant wild grapes on the island. Most French Canadians can trace their heritage to ancestors from this island.
The area was largely agricultural until the bridge was completed in 1935. (Source:Wikipedia)
To us, it was just plain beautiful, all decked out in its fall colours. We had been across the bridge once before, just to say we had been there. This time, our plan was to drive to Sainte Petronelle on the West end for a view of Cap Diamant and Quebec City. Finding a free parking spot right on the water by Auberge La Goéliche (below)…
…we were rewarded with these great views, even though the day was still fairly overcast
We paused and looked about us and could not resist a walk down the narrow streets and lanes past beautiful homes colourfully decorated by nature’s fall foliage.
Reluctantly, we retraced our steps back to the car and headed away, pausing at one point for this view of 84 m high Montmerency Falls on the mainland.
We recalled seeing a Framers’ Market as we came onto the island and hoped we could find it again. We need not have worried as Route 368 which circles the island, is the only real road on the island. We soon found the market and stopped for these pix of the glorious bounty of fall.
After Buying a few treats, we headed back to the bridge, getting one last glimpse of a way of life from another time. We were glad we had taken this little detour.