We crossed over the boundary and into Quebec and the weather continued with on and off showers.
We had our sights set on Riviere-du-Loup for lunch and a leg stretch.
Riviere-du-Loup was originally established in 1673 as a seigneurie of Sieur Charles-Aubert de la Chesnaye. The seigneurie system was the process of allocating land in New France to nobility, military officers, civil officials or religious organizations (Seigneurs) from 1627 to 1854, when it was abolished.
Riviere-du-Loup was incorporated as the village of Fraserville (named after Scottish settler Alexandre Fraser) in 1850 and became a city in 1910. It reverted to the original name in 1919. Between 1850 and 1919, there was a large influx of Anglophones. Most of them left the area by 1950 and now only 1% of the population speaks English as its first language.
Riviere-du-Loup was named after the river of the same name, whose name means Wolf River in French. City population as of the 2011 census was 19,447.
The city was the site of a nuclear incident in 1950 when a USAF B-50 bomber was returning a nuclear bomb to the US and developed engine trouble. The bomb was released and destroyed by a non-nuclear detonation above the ground, scattering nearly 100 pounds of radioactive uranium over the area.
We wandered the town briefly, before stopping into Au Pain Gamin for coffee and a sandwich. All was delicious and it was good to be back in a place where good coffee is served.
We strolled down the main street between showers, before getting back into the car and continuing on to Quebec City.