This town at the Southwestern end of Cape Breton beside the Strait of Canso was originally called Ship Harbour, named for the harbour it is situated on. Ships for the timber export trade were built here from early to mid 19th century
The town was founded in 1789 and incorporated in 1889. The 2016 census indicates a population of 3,214. In 2006, the port at Port Hawkesbury was 2nd only to Vancouver, B.C. in annual shipping tonnage (due to shipping crushed rock and gravel and trans shipments of oil) handling 31.6 million metric tonnes. The harbour is still pretty and was a good place to walk in the morning sun.
Still as glass on this September morn
reflection and image seem as one.
From this calmness, a new day is born
Last evening’s angst turns into fun.
Here the pictures speak for themselves. Even our GPS, Gertie seemed to be reflecting, half in the water and half on the shore.